7.19.2011

Why you ask...

are there letters missing?
I get asked this often
so thought it would be worth sharing with you all
in today's post.
Next time you have the opportunity
to view an antique sampler,
take note if there are any letters missing.
There are various reasons/beliefs
as to why there are letters missing.

We must remember that young hands stitched
what we know today
as "school girl samplers"
and mistakes were common.
Also depending on where the young girl lived,
many letters may be omitted
due to her nationality
and the alphabet they wrote.

Samplers were also stitched by religious groups.
Their beliefs were to include a mistake in their work.
A perfectly stitched sampler
would boast
pride & vanity
and this was shamed upon.
Perfection was left to be for their creator,
and their creator only.

Samplers stitched before the 19Th century
may also be missing the letters J and U.
The alphabet as we know today
only had 24 letters in it
at that time.
Since some letters were
similar in appearance
they were used interchangeably,
such is the case with the I and J,
and the U and V.

In keeping with the belief
of perfection
is to be saved
for our creator,
and in honor
of the young girls
who created
these wonderful keepsakes,
you will find
I too
leave the J off
not by mistake, but by purpose,
when I design a sampler...
this is my signature,
if you will,
&
now you know
the rest of the story!

* * * * * * *

Birds of a Feather Mystery Sampler Frames!
We will be offering
a limited supply
of the above picture frames
sized to fit
35 count linen.
These are special orders,
please allow extra time.
Cost - $79.00 (includes US shipping)
Call us at (712)732.5419 to get on our list.

I've taken a couple of question in regards to
what is the framed "Birds of a Feather"
finished piece resting upon.
No, this is not part of the frame.
However, it is
a huge
antique coat hook
that works
perfectly as a frame stand.

* * * * * * *
Have you seen these?
Aren't these cuter
then a
bug's ear?
New stitching goodies
from Kelmscott Designs
just arrived!

Have a good day,
Brenda

8 comments:

Lynn said...

Thank you so much for sharing some of the history of samplers and their alphabets. I found it very interesting and love that you are deliberately leaving out the J in yours.

Patti said...

Thank you so much for the explanation as to the missing "J"!

I am glad that I wasn't imagining things when I couldn't find it in your new witch sampler....lol. I am overdue for my yearly eye exam, so I was wondering if I had better make an appt. ASAP!

Love all your new goodies, the scissors are adorable and I am thinking I better order that frame, otherwise, if I wait until I am finished stitching the Mystery SAL it may not be available!

shelleyfaythe said...

Thank you for the history lesson, I love it!! What sampler do you have pictured at the top of this post? I love it and wish I could buy it? thank you!!

shelley faythe reynolds
mahtomedi Minnesota

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Hi,Brenda...the Birds Of A Feather sampler
is very, very pretty. The color combinations
are really nice. I love the coat hook as a
frame holder. Clever! And those scissors,
too adorable. They look like owl eyes.
Warm Regards,
Susan B., Western MA

*Kountry*Porch*Primitives* said...

As a sampler designer myself I found this all really interesting. I'll have to keep this history lesson in mind when I start another design. Thanks!! ~Kriss~

mdgtjulie said...

The frame is lovely, and thanks for all the info. I wasn't aware of that!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Brenda,

Looking forward to this lovely sampler you are doing! J and U missing? Not good for me then, as my name is Julia !

Best Wishes Julia in England x

MoonBeam said...

Oh, boy, am I loving the autumn look of this blog. I'm not even close to finishing your earlier designs...how can I make room for all these sweet fall projects?

Bobbi